Friday, January 27, 2012

My Fellow Beautiful Naturals

After shaving my hair in 2008, I realized that I never knew how beautiful I was. I'm not pompous. I don't spend hours in the mirror. I walked around with my head held high, even when I did not feel attractive. My mom always called me her beautiful brown baby. But, I never felt that inner feeling of contentment with my physical being. I knew that my body was boom bam plow! lol. Just kidding. But, I never looked at my face and hair and said "Gorgeous you are from the beginning of this world and gorgeous you will be to the ends of this earth."





After leaving my mother's house, I permed my hair. Then after two years, I cut my hair off. Shaving my head was initially to spite my husband. But, it became a great way for me to get to know myself. I had daily reflections with myself aside from the daily pray for new hair growth. lol. 


I also focused a lot more on my wardrobe, makeup, and accessories. I never took the time to treat my body and dress it the way it deserved. I took care of my eyebrows, because jacked up eyebrows and no hair is a quick recipe for a manly looking woman to approach you. I've been made fun of on many occasions, because of my hair. But, it looks like I got the last laugh. 
I'm excited to have meet so many naturals at UMD and HU. This one girl in particular is smart, GORGEOUS bone structure, and a warm (sometimes stern) spirit. I can't thank God enough for meeting this girl. She is real beyond compare. She clearly gets her beauty from her mom. I just remember every time I saw her, wow God took special care to craft this girl. The last thing I notice about her is her hair. That's how you know someone is beautiful, when their hair is the end all be all of their features. I hope that she knows how beautiful she is. Sometimes, when you are not blue black or light bright, you get lost in the beauty spectrum. I was always brown, just brown. Only white people seemed to notice my glowing skin! lol. randomly, like at the drs. office. But, for people of color, we take our bone structure, hair, and radiant skin for granted. Most of the time, I do think it's the eurocentric view. I believe that we learn to love our skin, hair, and body by the reaction we receive from our family and communities. 


Some of it is European centered. But, one thing Europeans and others have always been able to recognize and we haven't yet to understand is our own radiant beauty. Skin kissed by the sun and hair like the Messiah. 




*Stay blessed. Stay away from Stress. Keep Peace. Don't lose any sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment